Tabletop exercise (TTX)
Who should participate in tabletop exercises?
How long does a tabletop exercise take?
The TTX aims to involve related participants in dealing with a simulated incident scenario and provide hands-on training to help participants assess existing plans and build recovery competencies.
How to conduct an effective TTX?
During the exercise, participants must focus on discussing in-depth issues collaboratively, and they tend to examine areas of concern and techniques of solving problems. The efficacy of a TTX lies in the active involvement of stakeholders and their assessment of current plans, procedures, and practices to handle the scenario at hand. Moreover, as the tabletop exercise imitates an actual emergency, participants can smoothly rehearse their roles, raise questions and concerns, and troubleshoot problem areas, thus equipping participants with the needed confidence to confront real-life crises. Figure 1 illustrates 9 steps to design an effective tabletop exercise.
Design an plan
- After reviewing the current plan, objectives and desired outcomes must clearly identify
- Select internal and external participants( if needed)
- Identify potential crisis scenarios and set achievable, realistic exercise plan
Engage and reflect
Create an Interactive exercising and learning environment that encourages discussion and critical thinking
- Ask Probing questions that often followed-up with questions to gain Insight and deepen participant understanding
- Highlight Issues, Lessons, and relevant Gaps
Learn and adjust
Document exercise to draft an after-action report
- Discuss the report and communicate low-hanging improvements
- Provide guidance that improves the performance even more and ask them to rehearse if needed
Benefits of tabletop exercises
Not sure where to start?
The critical event management platform - RAYVN, allows you to start a scenario-based exercise with your related internal and external stakeholders with a click of a button. This platform enables you to Run an exercise to make sure your organization is ready!
Only, Start a new log by clicking the "Start" button and selecting a template or creating a custom log!